Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 18:51:05 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Paul <psd@worldaccess.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: atapi

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Paul wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:
>
> >> Is atapi support OK in the current release (2.x?) or can I better wait for
> >> version 3?
> >
> >ATAPI support is better than it used to be. You can simply download the
> >boot floppy and see if it picks up your device. 3.0 is still a long way
> >from completion, and even when it is released it will probably be less
> >stable than 2.2.2.
>
> OK, I tried 2.2.2 (and 3.0 as well, but that was a mistake but it had the
> same result) and my cd-player DID work, but the recognation was very slow.
> I had to wait for 8 seconds before my secondary IDE interface was
> recognised and another 30 seconds before the kernel found my Philips
> pca21cr cd-player.
> Is that normal?

Yes, but can normally be fixed, by removing from the kernel config file
the lines for disks you don't have. These are simply timeouts looking for
additional devices on the EIDE controllers. You can also make these
timeouts shorter. Search the hackers list archive for a (pretty recent)
discussion on how to tune EIDE timeouts. I usually find it sufficient to
disable the disks I don't have.

> --
> Paul Dekkers (psd@worldaccess.nl or psd@dds.nl)
> N.E.V - Nescio Ergo Valeo
> Het prettige van standaards is dat er zoveel zijn om uit te kiezen

Nadav