Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 16:23:30 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Mr. K." <bsd@the.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: efficient filesystem

"Mr. K." wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.4.02A.9810041537420.14444-100000@the.nu>:
> does freebsd have a filesystem which would be efficient with 10,000+ files
> in a single directory?  I have other possibilites such as manually
> breaking the files into directories (f/i/file.gif) or possibly using my
> mysql database but a filesystem which could add/delete/find files in log n
> time is what I'm really looking for.

Do the directory breakout shuffle. Without something like VxVS (Veritas
Filesystem, not available for non-commercial OSen unfortunately), which has
some sort of hashed directory structure if I understand it right, then you are
reduced to linear searches for all operations.

Even with VxFS, maintaining a large directory like that becomes unweidly for
humans, and when I was running a 300,000 user mail system, we still used
/var/mail/<first letter>/<second letter>/username/Mailbox ....
Breaking it out into subdirectories makes everyones lives easier, including
the machines ....

Gary