Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:35:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: select(2) proposed change

> : select() should
> : be changed to do the subtraction.
>
> Select should *NEVER* be changed to do the subtraction.  There are
> *NO* current systems that do this by default.  FreeBSD shouldn't
> change.  It is a *********S***T***U***P***I***D********** idea to
> change the semantics of select(2) at this late stage of the game.

To play devil's advocate here: this particular argument didn't get
me anywhere with the X3J11 committee with regards to "volatile",
"noalias", and prototypes in place of mandating symbol attribution
in object files, to catch the problem at link time.

I think it has something to do with the IQ of groups.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.