Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 13:03:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Andrew Fremantle <starslab@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Networking

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Andrew Fremantle wrote:

> As the title suggests, those of you not familiar with networking may
> want to skip this over.
>
> I have two questions. One is FreeBSD specific the other is not.
>
> 1) I have accumulated a large amount of experience with the Linux
> implementation of NAT, a kernel-land trick they call "IP Masquerade".
> I am aware that FreeBSD, and presumably the other BSDs offer similar
> functionality in the form of a user-land "NATd". I need to know if it
> is as functional as the Linux implmentation? The Linux implementation
> has "helper" modules for troublesome protocols such as ftp, irc, icq,
> even Quake (I do HalfLife though :). Will these work across a BSD box
> doing NAT?

I used to FreeBSD natd, it worked nicely for me, quake2 worked
fine, however quake1 required a specific proxy.  Ftp works,
i'm unsure about ICQ, but you can use socks for that.

> 2) This one is a bit lengthy, involves ASCII artwork, and is
> network-general, though I hope it will apply to FreeBSD or any free
> 'nix.
>
> 10BaseT Ethernet
>
>          A (WinNT)
> ADSL  --- HUB --- B (Win95)
>          C (whatever)
>
> All the machines in this scenario pull IP off a DHCP server over the
> ADSL.
>
> Transfers from any local machines, such as A sending a file to B
> cause the ADSL modem to go nutzo. The transfer is also very slow (by
> ethernet standards). Just pull the ethernet wire from the ADSL modem
> and it speeds up DRAMATICALLY. I am looking at putting a 'nix box on
> this network, and if I can make it act as a switch* between the ADSL
> modem and the rest of the network, than so much the better. The only
> "switch" I have seen or have experience with is a 3Com SuperStack ][
> (I think), which is more than a little bit out of my budget. Can
> anyone suggest a cheap piece of network hardware or a 'nix OS that
> can do this?
>
> * I understand a "switch" to be a device that examines the MAC
> address of machines on the network, and only passes packets on to
> another interface if such is necessary. This would mean packets from
> A to B don't need to go over the modem, and would not.

you can purchase a non-managble switch from onsale for really
cheap, and I think it would solve your problem, you can get
8 port switches for under $250 and 4 ports for even less.

It really seems that getting a switch would alleviate your
problem.

good luck,
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
systems administrator and programmer