Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 03:49:43 +0000 ()
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
To:        AROL MAILLIST <artsakh@nic.nk.am>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Tue, 14 Mar 1995, AROL MAILLIST wrote:

>I have few hosts connected each other with ethernets.  I have
>routing problems between any PPP-host to ethernet.  With "route
>add <PPP-host> <gate-host>" command I solve this problem.
>Besides on every host connected with Ethernet-cards I need to
>run this command.
>
>How can I configure my network to do route between PPP and Ethernet
>automaticaly ?

If you simply wish to create a bunch of static routes that occur
automatically, then the simplest solution is something like
gated. You can pre-determine all your static routes in
/etc/gated.conf, so that when a PPP link comes up, you can
automatically and individually route other IP addresses down that
link.

Using subnets is less complex (on the routing side) and
ultimately more flexible. In fact, I'm in the process of moving
that way myself.

Gated's documentation is excellent btw. I can't recall the web
address with the current documentation, but the thing comes with
full html documentation, very well set out and commented.

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn