Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 10:47:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDE for FreeBSD?

Mike Smith wrote:
> mikebo@tellabs.com stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Anyone know of a CDE port to FreeBSD? I understand that RedHat and
> > TriTeal are partnering to sell a commercial quality CDE for Linux.
>
> If you've got a spare $20K for the source license, I'm sure we could come
> up with something.
>
> Failing that, we'll have to wait until someone thinks it's worth the
> investment.  I'd suspect that if WC were to talk to TriTeal that the
> distribution numbers would happily compare with RedHat's.
>
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[

There are *several* commercial CDE ports to Linux underway. Rather than
re-stating the obvious, I was hoping that someone with knowledge of a
commercial port to FreeBSD would chime in and say, "Didn't you hear? There
are talks underway between Walnut Creek and so-and-so...".

I'm not about to give up BSD and move to Linux. Nevertheless, it irks me
to see multiple commercial ports of the same product to Linux, while few
(if any) are underway for FreeBSD. Who on the core team (or at Walnut
Creek) is supposed to be carrying the FreeBSD torch to developers?

I tried to do my part and call TriTeal; they hung up on me...
And no, I wasn't rude. I simply asked to talk to someone about a port
of CDE to the FreeBSD operating system. <click>
- Mike
Michael Borowiec   -   mikebo@tellabs.com   -   Tellabs Operations Inc.
Senior Member of Technical Staff                4951 Indiana Avenue, MS 63
708-512-8211  FAX: 708-512-7099                 Lisle, IL  60532  USA