Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:52:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
Cc:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net, freebsd-chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: supermicro p6sns/p6sas

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Tony Kimball wrote:

> Quoth Tom on Mon, 29 September:
>
> : > And we all know that Intel has had no major Pentium or PPro bugs?
> :
> :   Nothing that affected FreeBSD anyhow, and FreeBSD uses a wide variety of
> : features.
>
> Well, a lot of FreeBSD systems are used to perform division, for example.

  The Pentium division bug was fixed long ago.  And Intel gave free
replacements to everyone.

> I'd call that a much more serious problem than occasional make world
> failures.  More likely to kill someone, for example.  But this should
> probably go to chat.

  What?  The "make world" problems were VERY serious.  Simple operations
in gcc were being preformed incorrectly sometimes, causing core dumps.
Such failures appeared in all kinds of other software as well.

Tom