Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:43:47 -0700
From:      Joshua Lokken <joshua@twobirds.us>
To:        thib <thib@heimsnet.is>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh root denied

* thib <thib@heimsnet.is> [2004-04-13 14:16]:
> >On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:36:56 -0300 (EST)
> ><scuba@centroin.com.br> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> >
> > |Root logins are disallowed by default on FreeBSD
> > |for security reasons.  The recommended approach
> > |is to log on an account that is a member of the
> > |"wheel" group, and su(1) to root when necessary
> >

> You could  chmod them (for a _trusted_ user) and scp them inside a tunnel.
> But I on the other hand would move them with something physical ( usbkey,
> floppy or something or other )
> Check out GBDE for that case.

Isn't this situation exactly why 'sudo' (/usr/ports/security/sudo) was
developed?  I use sudo regularly for admin tasks like this.  There are
very few times when I 'need' to be root.

--
Joshua

Women are more easily and more deeply terrified ... generating more
sheer horror than the male of the species.
		-- Spock, "Wolf in the Fold", stardate 3615.4