Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:26:16 +0100
From:      Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        Charlie Root <root@mutsgo.kf7nn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cant mount after kernel make

On Wed, Jul 08, 1998 at 12:24:54AM -0500, Charlie Root wrote:

> I have 1 scsi drive and 1 ide cdrom i have cvsupped tonight and
> made world and made a new kernel upon booting i get the
> message cannot mount root   press any key to reboot.

What controller/device/partition/slice is it trying to mount root from?
Immediately before it says 'Panic - cannot mount root' there should be a line
which says 'changing root device to sd0s1a' or some such. What does this
line read? Does the device it's trying to mount root from exist?

> i booted the old kernel by typing in
>
> 0:sd(0,a)oldkernel
>
> but i cant boot the new kernel by typing in
>
> 0:sd(0,a)kernel
>
> I even tried remaking the kernel with the line
> kernel config on sd0 instead if wd0 and same results.
>
> what could be wrong?

If the BIOS boots from the IDE controller first, you will almost certainly
need to boot the kernel using 1:sd(0,a) rather than 0:sd(0,a). You will
probably want to save this information in the boot.config file.

> what files could i send you to help me fix this problem?

1. output from 'dmesg'
2. kernel config file (/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/{MYKERNEL})
3. FS table (/etc/fstab)

Kind regards

Keith
--
v Keith Jones                 Systems Manager, Blueberry New Media Ltd. v
| Postal Mail: 2/10 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, LONDON, UK. SW10 0XD |