Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 20:12:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.loral.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CallerID ?

Amancio, Hello again;

  About a year ago I was playing with callerID. What I wanted to do was
integrate it into login to check the incomming number before answering
the phone. I was using a Practical Peripherals 14400FXMT modem that
claimed to have the service (could return the number as a string) builtin.

 I bought an ID box just so that I could verify my results. It never did
work. The results of my talks with PP tech support were these:
  1) there is no standard for caller ID. Different companies may do
      it differently.
  2) PP is in CA, and as a result they never could test there; but rather
      had to go out of state.
  3) Different "CP"s will have different signal levels. What you may be able
      to pick up at one phone you can't 2 blocks away.

In my case, I have two phone lines in the same exchange, but they do enter
the house on two different trunk lines. The CallerID box does show numbers
for one line but not the other (always out of area). After these initial
failures I dropped the idea. Corporate secutity also decided that it would
not be secure enough anyway (-shrug-).

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |