Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 20:09:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel R.  Brownstone" <drbrowns@ls.wustl.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optimizing FreeBSD

Funny you should mention that.

We have up to about 30 users logged on simulatenously, some via modem (up
to 56k), and the rest via 100 Base T.  Recently (the last couple of
months) at various times -- usually during heavy usage -- the system will
slow down very quickly, and finally just freeze up, with the only solution
being to do a hard reboot.  Very annoying.  I can't find any processes
that are always running at the time, and with my lack of sophistication, I
can't otherwise diagnose the error.  When this all started, we were
running 2.2-SNAP from like October 96, and so I upgraded to 2.2.5-STABLE.
However, the problem has not corrected itself.

One thing of interest is that when the system does lock up, the "IN USE"
light on one of the hard drives is always on solid.  Near as I can tell,
however, it's not always the same drive.

The system is a Proliant 5000 with 256 MB of RAM and a few GB of storage.

Does that help?

Danny