Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 19:23:52 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        "David C. Myers" <myers@aedifice.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: " no sound from CMedia 8738 "

David C. Myers:
 |None of these scenarios work.  In each case, the behavior is the same:
 |mpg123 appears to be playing the file, but no sound comes out.
 |
 |you can specify a non-existent audio device (like /dev/blah or
 |something), and mpg123 doesn't complain at all.  It still appears to be
 |playing the file.  From a truss log, I never see it opening /dev/audio.
 |Instead, it's loading a lot of ESD-related stuff.  So maybe that's not a
 |good test...
 |On the other hand, I can do something like this: 'cat <file> >
 |/dev/audio', and static does come out of the speakers.  Same with
 |/dev/dsp.

Well, I don't know what is wrong there, but just as a data point my CMedia
8738 works pretty well with FreeBSD 4.3-stable circa June '01.  The only
dsp-out problem I have with it is that once and a while with xmms, I get
small "skips" in the audio.  It's not frequent, but occassionally it's like
the driver overwrites the DMA buffer before it's finished playing it.

   > dmesg | grep -i cmedia
   pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> port 0xa400-0xa4ff irq 10 at device 5.0 on pci0

I have this in my kernel config:

   device       pcm0
   device       sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
   device       pca0    at isa? port IO_TIMER1

Since /dev/audio seems to be somewhat functional there, this should be a
good test to see how well it actually works:

    mpg123 -s SomeSong.mp3 | \
          sox -t raw -s -r 44100 -w -c 2 - -t raw -U -b -c 1 -r 8012 /dev/audio

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com