Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:02:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Formatting and Labeling Jaz Disk

I am trying to format a Jaz disk. From what I gather from the
manpages, the first step is to label the disk. The 'disklabel' manpage
says,

     For a virgin disk that is not known to disktab(5),  disktype can be spec-
     ified as ``auto''. In this case, the driver is requested to produce a
     virgin label for the disk.  This might or might not be successful, de-
     pending on whether the driver for the disk is able to get the required
     data without reading anything from the disk at all.  It will likely suc-
     ceed for all SCSI disks, most IDE disks, and vnode devices.  Writing a
     label to the disk is the only supported operation, and the disk itself
     must be provided as the canonical name, i.e. not as a full path name.

Since my Jaz drive is a SCSI device, I try the following command and
get the response below it,

# disklabel -r sd0s4 auto
disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument

But the following pops up on the console,

sd0(ahc0:4:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:28,0
sd0(ahc0:4:0):  Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed
sd0(ahc0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
sd0 could not mode sense (4). Using fictitious geometry

What am I doing incorrectly? The manpage says it should 'likely'
succeed. Is this one of those other cases? Does anyone have a disktab
entry for a Jaz drive in that case?

Thanks for any help.