Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 1997 22:56:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com, asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3940uw with long cables

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote...
> > As Justin T. Gibbs wrote...
> >
> > > Perhaps.  There are a few important things to keep in mind when
> > > tuning the bus length.

> I haven't seen much problem with that as long as you use consitent
> impedence cables.  Ie, as long as the whole bus is run with 90 Ohm
> cable it works, but you have to spend the bucks for high quality
> teflon or twisted pair internal cables to get any place close to 90 ohms.
> And of cource you have to buy double sheilded twisted pair 90 ohm
> external cables with gold contacts.

The Adaptec 1742[A] comes to mind as a very picky card when external
and internal cables were used at the same time. It is of course very
dependent on both card and cable characteristics.

> One thing about doing what you state above is that this means you
> are pretty much stuck with what ever type of termination is on the
> SCSI controller.  I don't know of any controllers that have FPT
> on them, and for long busses FPT is a _must_.

I agree.

> > > 6) Honor the 6m and 3m bus length limits.  6m is the longest for 10MHz
> > >    and 3m is the longest for 20MHz single ended SCSI.  This assumes
> > >    proper stub/gap matching, so real life buses may need to be shorter.
> >
> > Hm. The company I work for (==DEC) uses the rule that a single ended
> > F10 (10MHz) bus can be a max of 3 meters.
>
> Justin, can you double check these numbers, I'm seeming to recall that
> it is 6 meters for async upto 5Mhz, 3 meters for sync upto 10Mhz and

Right, those are match my numbers.

> 1 meter for sync upto 20Mhz, unless your running differential, which

We assume 1.5m for 20MHz (half of what F10 uses). Be *very* conservative
with stubs in case of F20 though.

> is a whole other set of numbers.

Yep, something like 20 or 25 meters for F10 diff.

Wilko