Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 17:49:14 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
Cc:        Tim Strike <tstrike@targetnet.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: source upgrade from 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 to 4.6-stable

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 09:43:17AM -0500, Christopher Schulte wrote:
> At 03:08 PM 7/6/2002 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >If 4.6-STABLE buildworld from 4.0 is broken, please feel free
> >to report it directly to me.  I will take care of fixing it.
>=20
> Ruslan,
>=20
> Thank you for making this possible!
>=20
> I don't recall the exact timings of your work, so please refresh my memor=
y:
>=20
> Will a 4.0-RELEASE update directly to RELENG_4_6 work, or did your magic=
=20
> happen after 4.6-RELEASE and only avail in -STABLE?  If that's the case=
=20
> I'll probably update to RELENG_4 and revert back to RELENG_4_6.
>=20
> Thanks again for your time with this.  I was sure my relatively ancient 4=
.0=20
> box would simply rot over time until it died.
>=20
Before 4.6 went out, I've checked explicitly that it can be source upgraded
to from 4.0-RELEASE onwards (modulo the things I mentioned).  So yes, this
should be possible, and you have a safe way to test this:

1.  make buildworld
2.  make buildkernel
3.  make installkernel
4.  reboot
5.  make installworld
6.  mergemaster or equivalent
7.  reboot

(The first two steps can be done under the regular user's account.)

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,