Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 14:55:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, nate@sri.MT.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I'm rather annoyed with -current.

> Unfortunately, we *have* to use them.  You can't build a c-compiler
> w/out a C-compiler.  Obviously, all of the support tools that go along
> with are also important.
>

> > First we make the tools into the object tree and then we turn around and
> > make the target binaries using those tools.

When I make OSF1
it starts off with some stashed away binaries of cc
then remakes them using the sources..
then it remakes the libs with the new compilers
then it remakes the compilers with the new libs and then old new compilers
then compiles the rest of the tree using the new libs and new new compilers

It doesn't touch what's on the host system for anything..
it even looks in the source tree for the /usr/share/mk stuff
which BTW is based on the BSD stuff.