Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:05:10 +0100
From:      nivit@libero.it (Nicola Vitale)
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'ufm' device - trouble with GemTek USB FM Radio

> [wgnadt, 12 Febbraio 2003 ore 19:39]
> [...]
> device ufm
> [...]
> ufm0: GemTek Corp USB FM Radio, rev 1.00/4.10, addr 2
>
> [...] I found and compiled three different utilities
> to control the radio. Unfortunately, all three fail:
>
> 1. 'ufmctl' by M. Warner Losh (2001)
> 2. a patched version of 'ufmctl' by David Yeske (2002)
> 3. the 'ufmcontrol' package (2003)
>
> ufmcontrol> play
> ufmcontrol: Input/output error
>
> Why am I getting these I/O errors? Any thoughts?

In my opinion the cause is this instruction in ufm_start()
function (see /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/ufm.c)

	 if (ret & 0x1)
                return (EIO);

Stangely and only for FM_START ioctl, the driver checks
if the radio is in stereo mode so sometimes it returns EIO,
but the radio plays all the same (at least mine :).

Ciao.
--
Nicola Vitale
nivit@libero.it