Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:03:27 +0200
From:      Thomas Uhrfelt <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
To:        "'Doug White'" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SV: how does ppp's routing work?

[cut]

> > I was able to use ICQ and such, but I am just wondering,
> > how does this ppp -auto -alias demand work?  Both of
> > the machines shares the same IP, (the IP of which FreeBSD
> > gets from my ISP) and both of my machines could see
> > each other on ICQ (which requires unique IPs) and play
> > online network games.
>
> You can't use ICQ behind a NAT firewall due to ICQ's totally twisted
> protocol.  If you install socks5, though, you can tell ICQ to use the
> socks5 proxy instead and it'll work fine.
>
> Every machine on a network should have unique IPs.  I'm surprised the
> Windows machines didn't cry foul when they saw one another.

That's strange, then I guess the reason why its working here it's =
becasue I=20
didnt know it shouldnt work. I run ICQ through our firewall/nat machine =
just=20
fine. Just open up port 4000 on the firewall and you should be fine. ( =
we=20
have a 192.168.1.0/24 net on the inside ).

Thomas Uhrfelt                       thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se
Computer Technician

PlymoVent AB
F=F6reningsgatan 37