Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:16:12 +0100
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use/Utilize

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:

> That means that if I'm permitted to "use" the binary, as in,
> I can contact a web services platform running the binary,
> and for which I am never in physical possession of the binary,
> then the same restrictions for that "use" apply to my "use"
> of the source code to prepare derivative works, which I then
> provide only in binary form.  Right?

Section 0 says:

: Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
: covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
: running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
: is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
: Program (independent of having been made by running the Program).
: Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.

This is generally true for copyright law.

Tony.