Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:14:26 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des@des.no>, spellberg_robert <emailrob@emailrob.com>
Cc:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@UPMC.EDU>, fbsd_chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: lcd monitor manufacturer recommendation request

At 12:54 PM 11/21/2009, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>A CRT has an electrom beam that sweeps across the screen left to right
>and top to bottom, and the horizontal and vertical sync frequencies
>control how fast the beam moves.  An LCD panel does not have an electron
>beam; it has discrete, individually adressable pixels.  If you insist on
>hooking it up to an analog port, it will have to convert the analog
>signal to a digital signal in order to display it, and you will get
>sampling artifacts, aliasing etc.  I don't care how good you are at
>writing modelines; you will never come up with one that looks better
>than what you will get with a digital connection.

Unfortunately, some monitors with digital interfaces are not
compatible with some LCD displays, even though the sockets and
cables look like they match up. For example, I recently tried to
hook an Asus "Eee Box", which has an HDMI connector, up to a
Samsung LCD display using a digital cable. Couldn't get it to work
at all, no matter how I adjusted the settings on both. But when I
used an analog adapter and cable, it worked on the first try at
maximum resolution, with (fortunately) few or no noticeable
artifacts. Analog isn't ideal, but it's a good fallback.

--Brett Glass