Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 07:59:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        ANDRSN@hoover.stanford.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Elm, Pine, or ?

In a previous message, Doug White said:

> On Fri, 2 Feb 1996, Annelise Anderson wrote:
>
> > I just discovered I can use sendmail or mail from FreeBSD running on my
> > office computer.
>
> :-)
>
> > My e-mail arrives, however, on a VAX (where I like
> > to keep it).  The VAX is really awkward when replying to messages--no
> > automatic quoting and character-by-character delete of footers etc.
>
> I see.  There is a VMS version of Pine, ever try running it on the VAX?
>
> > It would be nice to be able to reply to messages using something with a
> > few more features, possibly Pine or Elm.  I used pkg_add for Pine but
> > Elm needs to be ported, and an effort to port it produces "Checksum
> > mismatch for elm2.4.tar.z.  The office system is 2.0.5 from the cdrom.
>
> > Any views on Pine vs. Elm for this sort of thing?  Or anything else?
>
> You're probably asking for it on this one...
>
> I personally like Pine.  It's a comfortable environment and has the mix
> of features I like.  It's based on Elm so you could call it the next gen
> Elm.  I have never used Elm so I'm not going to say anything about it.

I've used both, and much prefer Elm. As an SA, I try to use all kinds of
mailers to see what's best for my users (and to know a little of what
there using). Since '87, I've always gone back to elm. I compiles quite
easily on FreeBSD, you just need to ftp it first and put it in your
/usr/ports/distfiles. Actually, I'd recommend getting 2.4 PL25 and just
running configure.

What I don't understand is why pine can be in the distfiles and elm
can't. If Pine is based on Elm (and it is) shouldn't it be under
the same copyright restriction?

> > Also if I reply to a message using elm or pine could I use the VAX
> > return address and forward a copy to the VAX (to myself, I guess) so
> > that the VAX remains the central receiving and storage computer for
> > the e-mail?
>
> Your problem will be getting the mail off the VAX in the first place.
>
> Are they running a pop daemon that you could pull mail off with?  Sending
> it isn't the problem, it's retrieving it.

Couldn't 'movemail' be used if pop isn't there. You can get movemail
with the Netscape (2.0 beta) distribution.

> Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com