Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:57:11 -0600
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        Ron Bolin <rlb@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AHB0 on FreeBSD 2.1.5R Broken??

Ron Bolin wrote:

> I installed 2.1.5R on a Adaptec 1742 EISA system that had been running
> 2.1R.
> I cannot enable ahb0 in the new kernel. It is included the GENERIC file,
> and I can see some of the symbols using nm on /kernel. I cannot see
> ahbdriver
> in the new kernel symbols, and I can in 2.1R. Got any ideas as I had to
> replace the board with a 1452CF until this  gets worked out.
>
> Thank's
> -Ron
> --
> Ron Bolin rlb@mindspring.com, http://www.mindspring.com/~rlb/
> GSU: matrlbx@indigo4.cs.gsu.edu  Home: 770-992-8877

This sounds like the problem I was having, except I am using
2.2-960801-SNAP.  The GENERIC kernel recognized my VLB Adaptec
(ahc driver), but my custom kernel did not.  My kernel wouldn't
even compile (error messages about missing ahcdriver).  I finally
added all the SCSI drivers that were in GENERIC to my custom
kernel and it worked.  It sounds like a bunch of dependencies got
hosed, because I have created many custom kernels (prior to 2.1.5R
and 2.2-960501-SNAP) with only the ahc driver and everything worked
fine.
--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798