Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2018 17:22:40 -0600
From:      David Samms <dsamms@nw-ds.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>, jrm@FreeBSD.org, eugen@grosbein.net
Subject:   Re: Fwd: 11.2-Beta3 fails to boot: legacy mode ZFS

All,

My first response appears not to have made the list, so am reposting.
The problem is SOLVED however. The system in question is an Intel
s1200kb with Xeon processor but no COM port, only USB so console access
is not available. Make debugging more difficult.

On 06/04/18 13:59, Allan Jude wrote:
> When you say it "failed at ZFS", what do you mean?

Sorry for the poor description. I get all the normal boot prompts and
the system starts to boot then suddenly without any error message or
output to the console, reboots. The last text I can see is...

ZFS...

This occurs very early in the boot cycle and way before mounting / or
going into single user mode

> There will be multiple 'boot prompts' as well.
>
> The system starts up, and boot1/boot2 happen. This is where you'll get
> the first GELI password prompt.
>
> This will start the loader, which draws the beastie menu. After the
> menu, the kernel modules indicated in /boot/loader.conf are loaded, then
> the text 'booting' is displayed, and the screen is cleared, and the
> kernel starts loading.

Reboots HERE. Before mount-root prompt.

> Later on you get the mount-root prompt if something goes wrong.
>
> Query: Do you happen to have VirtualBox or the nVidia driver kernel
> modules loaded? This was causing problems for some other people, where
> the system would boot up, but instantly panic once the VirtualBox
> networking driver was loaded, since the vbox driver module needs to be
> compiled against the 11.2 source code to work with an 11.2 kernel.
>
> If this doesn't seem to be the problem:
> Can you send the contents of /boot/loader.conf, /etc/rc.conf, 'zpool
> list' and 'zfs list'

Allan, thank you so much for this suggestion. Commenting out all ports
based kernel modules resolved the problem. In the past upgrades I have
had ports based kernel modules fail to load or crash when used, but I
have never seen the loading of a ports based kernel modules crash the
boot process.

Would suggest "we" make it clear in the upgrade instructions to disable
ALL optional kernel modules. I expect Nvidia to fail and require a
recompile before working with a new version of FreeBSD, but in the past
I have always been able to boot to single user mode.

Thank you guys for terrific support!