Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:40:55 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Carles_G=F3mez?= <carlesgo@mat.upc.es>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tcpdump

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

Add the following to your kernel config:

# The `bpfilter' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# The number of devices determines the maximum number of
# simultaneous BPF clients programs runnable.
pseudo-device   bpfilter 1      #Berkeley packet filter

(Well, you don't need the comment lines, only the final one)

Kris

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:15:50AM +0100, Carles G=F3mez wrote:
>=20
> 	Dear sirs,
>=20
> 	I have the following problem: I would like to use tcpdump on my FreeBSD
> 3.2 release. When I type the shell command "tcpdump", the following
> message appears:
>=20
> 	tcpdump: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured
>=20
> 	I have looked at the tcpdump man page, and it talks about the fact that
> I must have read access on /dev/bpf0 in order to work properly with
> tcpdump.
>=20
> 	How can I do this?
>=20