Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 00:19:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Curtin <cmcurtin@interhack.net>
To:        "Andrew Johns" <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
Cc:        "Evan Brastow" <ebrastow@automatedemblem.com>, "Joe Konecny" <jkonecn@green-mfg.com>, "FreeBSD List" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: internet monitoring

>>>>> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:56:33 +1000,
      "Andrew Johns" <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au> said:

We're well off-topic now, but I can't think of a good place to have
this conversation. :-)

Andrew> I'm being the devil's advocate here a bit, I might add..

Always useful to have one of those around... ;-)

Andrew> The personnel dept cannot enforce any disciplinary action
Andrew> without evidence.

Neither can someone sue successfully without evidence.

Andrew> Assuming that you are the boss in a
Andrew> company, how will you answer the lawyer that asks you what
Andrew> evidence you have to backup your claim that the person you
Andrew> fired was spending company time (your money) surfing
Andrew> inappropriate sites?

You don't dismiss someone for looking at "naughty" sites.  Or reading
cnn.com.  You might dismiss someone for being unproductive, in which
case your evidence is the work that has been produced, or its
absence.  You might also dismiss someone on the grounds that they have
been a source of sexual harassment, in which case the HR department,
when dealing with the matter, would have a record of the events.

I advocate treating employees like people.  Like adults.  You explain
what you expect from them, they explain what they expect of you.  If
the two decide to work together, both must live up to the bargain.  If
one doesn't, the other says something about it.  If it's bad enough,
you severl the relationship.  It's that simple.  It really is.

You are paying for your connection to the Internet in order to conduct
business.  And you're paying for it during "off-hours", too, so why
not let your employees use the tool for their own edification (maybe
they're reading etexts, Usenet FAQs, etc.) or pleasure (so who cares
if they're playing MUDs when they're not working?) if they like?

--
Matt Curtin cmcurtin@interhack.net http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcurtin/