Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:02:45 +0000
From:      Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, dan@tangledhelix.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It's time for those 2048-, 3072-, and 4096-bit keys?

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 11:01:00AM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:42:36 -0500
> Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> wrote:

> > > On a system where security is of any concern whatsoever, why would
> > > telnet be available in the first place?
> >
> > I just dealt with a group of "senior" admins here in Detroit who
> > weren't familiar with the problems of telneting to their Ciscos.
> > Ethereal was quite the shock to them.  :-)
> >
> > It's taken us years to basically scrub telnet off the map, and it's
> > still not gone.  SSHv1 is far better than telnet, and there are any
> > number of v1 clients still out there.  Please don't make it any
> > harder than it absolutely has to be.
> >
> > Perhaps a comment in the file, "we recommend using v2 whenever
> > possible", so people stumble across it frequently even if they don't
> > bother reading the docs?
>
> How about a nice addition to the ssh manual pages just because I do
> not think they describe things well enough.  For instance, when I
> first started using scp(1), I fought like hell before I figured it
> out.  I do not feel the manual page had a clear description of how
> to use scp(1).  It did, however, cover the options well...  I think
> that it should describe how to use protocol 2, I also think it should
> point you to a reference of the use options.

I think the scp(1) manpages are clear enough, to be honest.
I mean, the syntax is essentially just a mix between cp(1) and ssh(1),
except that it treats a destination filename containing a ':' as a
hostname:path combination.
I can even tab-complete with scp over the network (and so could you,
with the correct tcsh incantations).

I would imagine that any problems you had with scp(1) were more rooted
in the "getting my key working" area than with actually typing
	# scp foo wibble quux host.example.com:/tmp

Surely ?

Therefore perhaps we just need a doc on how to get keys working (and
I'm not convinced we need that, but I've been using ssh for a long time).

Ceri

--
keep a mild groove on