Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:51:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ean Kingston" <ean@hedron.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I get growfs to work on a gvinum mirror?

Hi,

Please excuse the re-post. I'm hoping that my question just got lost in
the numerous conversations over the weekend and that I'm not suffering
from bleading-edge technology that nobody else has tried in production
yet.

How do I make growfs actually grow a gvinum disk on FreeBSD 5.3? I've
read the man pages, the Handbook, and done some searching with no luck.

To help understand what I'm trying to accomplish here, I've created a
filesystem that mounts to /export on a gvinum volume. The volume is
configured as a mirror. I want to double it's size. To do this I used
gvinum to add a subdisk to each plex of the mirror (this worked fine).
gvinum now reports the volume as 32GB (it used to be 16GB).

The filesystem is still 16GB. When I unmount the filesystem and run
growfs on the device it claims there is no space to grow:

# growfs -s 33554432 /dev/gvinum/export
growfs: we are not growing (8388608 -> 8388608)

And yet

# disklabel /dev/gvinum/export
# /dev/gvinum/export:
3 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   a: 33554432        0    4.2BSD     2048 16384     0
   b: 33554432        0      swap
   c: 33554432        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit
disklabel: partition c doesn't cover the whole unit!
disklabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard
system utilities

better still:
# gvinum list
2 drives:
D a                     State: up       /dev/ad1s1g     A: 58662/108326
MB (54%)
D b                     State: up       /dev/ad0s1g     A: 58662/108326
MB (54%)

5 volumes:
V export                State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:
32 GB

8 plexes:
P export.p1           C State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:
32 GB
P export.p0           C State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:
32 GB

12 subdisks:
S export.p1.s0          State: up       D: b            Size:
16 GB
S export.p0.s0          State: up       D: a            Size:
16 GB
S export.p0.s1          State: up       D: a            Size:
16 GB
S export.p1.s1          State: up       D: b            Size:
16 GB

--
Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org