Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:29:03 +0200
From:      Juan Fco Rodriguez Hervella <jrh@it.uc3m.es>
To:        Lista <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Automatic tunneling

The automatic tunneling uses addresses of the form ::<IPv4>, so
if you detect that the destination is of this form, means that
the packet should be 'automatically' encapsulated.

Correct me if I am wrong.

raviprasad20@netscape.net escribi=F3:
> =

> Hi,
> My this doubt is regarding automatic tunneling. I know that freeBSd doe=
snot support it. But i feel u can guide me in this.
> Suppose iam implementing automatic tunneling then is there a need for m=
e to use any of the gif interfaces.
> =

> I feel that with the present freeBSD architecture i can implement autom=
atic tunneling. My idea is this when ever an ipv6 packet is to be sent ov=
er an ipv4 cloud then i should call the gif_output() in the nd6_output().=
 In the gif_output() i should generate the encapsulation header & call ip=
_output() to send the packet.
> =

> The only preoblem for me is to identify that the packet is to be sent o=
ver an ipv4 cloud. In the configured tunneling case we have a routing ent=
ry & it takes care of calling gif_output().
> =

> FreeBSD uses the routing table to find the interface through which the =
packet is to be sent. In this case if i have to send the packet through a=
n ipv4 cloud then i should specify the interface so that gif_output() is =
called.
> =

> Kindly tell is there a way for me to find that the packet is to be tunn=
eled in advance.
> =

> regards
> ravi prasad