Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:41:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr> writes:
> > [why was Matt Dillon's commit bit removed]
>
> Short version: there was a difference of opinions.

I think there should be "short version", but that this is not quite it.

The short of it is that Matt was unable to treat many of his fellow
developers with the civility and respect that they deserve.  The FreeBSD
Project attempts to foster a productive environment for development; sure,
as with any online community, it's going to have its share of
disagreements and occasional flames.  It's hard to imagine any e-mail list
without occasional fiery and enthusiastic disagreement.  However, there
are times when individuals may step beyond the scope of what is considered
reasonable, expected, or acceptable.  Obviously, this is subject to
interpretation and debate, but I'd ask that those passing judgement on
this action take into account that this was given long and hard
consideration, and that it was not a decision taken lightly or without
regret.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories