Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:20:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      "K.J.Koster" <kjk1@ukc.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slave-only ATAPI cdroms (was: Re: mount cdrom returns ...)

> I'd sure flinch at the idea of an IDE channel without a master.  I've got
> a system with two IDE channels, and have a hard drive as the master on
> one, and a CD-ROM drive as the master on the other.  Both work just
> fine.
>
> Any reason you don't want to move the jumper on the CD-ROM, and make it
> a master?

Well, I have my cdrom drive on primary slave, without a master, because
otherwise FreeBSD 2.2.2-release does not recognize my cdrom drive (BTC 8x
ATAPI).

I had it on master, MS-DOS was happy, 2.1.5-release was too. Come
2.2.2-release, MS-DOS is still happy, but FreeBSD tells me it's not there.
(Me: "it is!" FreeBSD: "No it's not" Me: "yes, look, just above the floppy
drive" FreeBSD (determined): "well, I don't know what you have above your
floppy drive, but it's not an ATAPI drive")

Now I have it on slave, without a master, and MS-DOS is still happy, and
FreeBSD tells me it's there, after taking about 20 seconds to probe for
it. (And me shouting at the computer: "It's there! Primary controller, on
slave mode, just look there will-ya!", FreeBSD seems to need the shouting)

During my struggle, I played with that little `CS' jumper too. I don't
know off the top of my head how I set it eventually, but it made a big
difference for FreeBSD, and a small difference for MS-DOS.

    Groetjes,
      Kees Jan

  Kees Jan Koster   tel: UK-1227-453157  e-mail: kjk1@ukc.ac.uk
  15 St. Michaels Road,    Canterbury,   Kent,   United Kingdom
  from trials come errors...         from errors come legends...