Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 09:39:35 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARP's - Overriden even if marked 'permanent'?

Doug White wrote:

> I don't think so.  ARP is sort of arbitrary anyway, if it gets new
> information it'll overwrite it.  It's `permanent' in the sense that it
> won't expire it from the ARP cache and do ARP queries.

Hmmm, so it's doing my security no good whatsoever - as even if I do mark
the stuff permanent it will get overwritten...

This kinda looks as if it's true - as if I set the arp's manually on my
Cisco router - it _doesn't_ overwrite them (i.e. if I change a network card
in a machine it can't talk to the Cisco)...

Is there anyway of using IPFW to block incoming ARP's for addresses I've
marked permanent (assuming I know the IP addresses in advance)?

Regards,

Karl