Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:17:49 +0300 (IDT)
From:      <noor@comrax.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MySQL on FreeBSD

Hello all,

I've upgraded our FreeBSD box this morning to 4.1-RC. The machine runs
httpd and mysqld mainly. PHP runs as a module on httpd.

Anyways, mysqld is acting strangely on our FreeBSD box (P-II 350Mhz,
256MB, SCSI-II card & disk). Usually the machine is 90-95% idling, and
from time to time, mysqld uses 20% from the CPU, but after that it rests
back to 0-1%. The problem is that when mysqld reaches approximately 25-30%
of CPU usage, it dies with a 'Segmentation fault' or 'Bus error' error
message, and starts again from a shell script.

Now, I've seen mysqld (same configuration) run on Solaris systems with CPU
loads up to 50-60%, without dying once! Although it keeps the disk
spinning, but it doesn't ever die.

The configuration of FreeBSD is "as is", no optimizations were applied,
and no kernel parameter was altered. mysqld's parameteres are "factory"
defaults.

If anyone knows how to make mysqld NOT die on such low CPU loads, and know
how to fix this (either by altering FreeBSD's parameteres, or mysqld's),
then please elaborate.

I've tried playing with both parameters, but it's not helping... mysqld
keeps dying sooner or later, and even sometimes it returns empty results.

Thanks for your help.

Noor