Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 96 11:54:46 +0200
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        bernard%cityscape.co.uk@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Cc:        questions%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com, freebsd-hardware%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: Internal ISDN Cards

bernard@cityscape.co.uk writes:

> Using FreeBSD in all our routers, it would be really good to have ISDN
> cards in some some machines, however I can find nothing documented.
>
> Are no generally available cards supported ?

depends on what you mean by "generally available". At the moment only
some cards by German manufacturers are supported. These cards are the
Teles/Creatix S0/16, the Teles S0/16.3 (actually, this is under
development) and the so-called niccy cards from Dr. Neuhaus.

> Has anyone else any experience with ISDN and BSD ?

I, and a number of others here in Gemany, are using it with good success.
Of course, we're using the German cards.

> Does anyone know of an internal ISDN card that mimics a COM port (as
> modems do) ?

There's a number of them. Look at Dan Kegel's ISDN page. He lists a
whole slew of cards there. There's even some company in the UK which
makes an internal ISDN card that looks like a serial port. The URL
is: http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/isdn/

> Racal have generously lent me a couple of X.Toll cards. What resources
> are available for developing a native BSD driver ?
>
> I have minimal UNIX kernel hacking experience - is driver writing a big
> deal ?

Can be. Do you have all the documentation needed to write a driver which
can talk to the board ? Like register descriptions, memory maps, etc. ?
What does the board look like ? Is it memory-mapped, port-mapped, do you
have to download code to it ? Lots of questions which can't be answered
without more info.

Linux supports lots of cards. Try looking at recent Linux kernel source.

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
					(play) gj@freebsd.org