Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 00:12:26 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: continuing interrupted 'make buildworld'

On 2002-10-01 13:48, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com> wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
> > On 2002-09-30 17:31, John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com> wrote:
> > > I would like to restart a 'make buildworld' without deleting or recreating
> > > any unnecesary files (i.e., after messing about in the source tree).
> > >
> > > How should I do this? (Is this the effect of 'make -DNOCLEAN buildworld'?)
> >
> > That should work.  It will rebuild a few things that you could
> > probably avoid, but in general it works fine.
>
> IIRC, when I've done "make buildkernel" (maybe "buildworld") a second
> time (eg, to do benchmarks with two BIOS settings), the thing rebuilt
> the whole kernel again.  I've always wondered why.  I thought "make"
> was supposed to use old files when possible.

The buildkernel target will run a "make clean" before building the new
kernel, in an effort to be on the safe side.  This will delete all the
old kernel's object files (anything that had been compiled before the
interruption took place).  Thus, all files will be compiled again...

This is exactly what the original question was about.  -DNOCLEAN
inhibits the Makefiles from running "make clean".  I don't know if
this is a sufficiently explanatory answer, but anyone curious enough
can always look up the exact commands that the buildkernel make target
runs at /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 :-)

Giorgos.