Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:42:25 -0500
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDCon Doc BoF Notes

Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> More mid-range plans:  Split up the handbook.  Issue here is to go to
> a lot of smaller books or a few larger ones.  Lots of smaller books is
> like the Linux HOWTO project (Bob Bruce:  Can we leverage the Linux
> HOWTOs?  No solid answer to this.)  Big books raise the barriers to
> entry for new contributers, and are hard to navigate (on the other
> hand, indexes are more useful).  Paul Richards:  Small books give us
> the ability to do incremental updates to printed documentation or at
> least make it more feasible.

Can I suggest, the division of the hanbook.  I can see where the
handbook can be divided between home user and like corp user.  Mainly
the reasons for this is most home users may not need to know things like
apache configuration, or sendmail configuration.  Just use the ISP's
mail server for email.  I am sure many other aspects can be worked with
here, but these poped up first.  I would like to hear comments on this
idea, the 'vision' of handbook breakup may be different depending on who
is looking at it.  For this reason I feel more comments than mine should
be stated.

> Another item:  Find a better search engine for the Web site.

> Back to Murray's slides: Problems known with the second-edition
> Handbook: No sections on wireless networking or DVD/multimedia, IPsec
> section seems to be unusable by people who have tried to use it,
> grammar is horrible.  Wants more constructive criticism, but people
> aren't giving much, not clear why.  Michael Lucas: Many of the
> problems can be summed up as, "It's not enough to write to be
> understood; you have to write so that you cannot be misunderstood".

Hasn't Michael stated this many times over in the past ;)  Should we add
it to the FDP primer?

> Generally accepted that many contributors to the Handbook (many of
> whom are not professional writers) will cause this problem.  Maybe
> needs a copy editor?  Murray: PRs pointing out specific problems are
> welcomed, even if there's no patch.

True, mainly because the various amount of people here seem to patch at
and work at a nice rate.  Always love looking over the pr database and
thinking what to tackle next ;)

> About this time, kicked out of the room by the next BOF.

You were kicked out of the room?  Pretty...

--
Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
www.Pittgoth.com Gothic Liberation Front