Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2019 14:31:51 -0600
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to explore Android device files under FreeBSD ?

> On 14 Jul 2019, at 11:44, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
>=20
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 01:34:46 +0200, Kjell Tore Ullavik wrote:
>> One simple way is to just install and start a ftp-server app on your =
phone.
>=20
>=20
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 19:36:08 -0400, Vlad D. Markov wrote:
>> I gave up on connecting via cabling. I installed an app that made
>> my phone an ftp server then I ftped the files onto my computer.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Why doesn't it seem to occur to people that this sounds entirely =
wrong?
> It's not that it is impossible, or doesn't work - but shouldn't it be
> much easier to copy _your_ photos from _your_ phone without requiring
> a 3rd party app, registering for a crappy cloud service, or mess with
> "developer settings=E2=80=9D?

It is easier on a supported OS.

> In my opinion, it should be as easy as attaching the USB cable and
> then immediately having access to a direct access mass storage, as
> per the standard.

Oh sure, Android COULD do this, but they have no motivation to do so.

> Why do manufacturers think it's okay to make things needlessly
> complicated?

The main reasons are 1) to squeeze money out of you or 2) incompetence. =
It is often difficult to tell which one is at play.

> I mean... I even got this working with an iPad

because it is easier on an iPad and the camera roll shows up as a mass =
storage device? (not on macOS, granted, but last time I did this (years =
ago) on a FreeBSD machine I plugged in the device, mounted it, copied =
the photos out of the DCIM folder, and dismounted it.

> , so
> why should an Android-based phone, where Android is usually considered
> "some kind of Linux=E2=80=9D,

Isn=E2=80=99t it really Java running on a bare bare bare linux kernel? =
There=E2=80=99s no real linux there.

> force you to do annoying things? I think with
> the tools available on FreeBSD, it should be possible to get images
> copied from an Android phone without much messing with that phone.

Should? Perhaps. I don=E2=80=99t think it is though.

--=20
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder. Elves are marvelous. They
cause marvels. Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies. Elves are
glamorous. They project glamour. Elves are enchanting. They weave
enchantment. Elves are terrific. They beget terror.