Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:01:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        <alpha@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP, floppy installs desupported for 5.0

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 03:37:29PM -0700, Fred Clift wrote:
> > I'm not totally familiar with the boot-system and how install floppies are
> > put together, but could many of the drivers be loaded as modules from
> > another floppy?
>
> They already are.  Seriously, unless you are prepared to do a
> 'cd /usr/src/release ; make release', and hack on this; you shouldn't be
> speaking up.

I'm not unwilling -- just unfamiliar - if there is work I can do I'll
seriously consider it.  I'm really just trying to get yall to give me
enough information so that I know wether or not I'm willing to do just
that :)  -  I presume all of the easy stuff has been done already, and
probably all the not-very-easy stuff.  I'm just trying to get an idea of
what is left, and how much time I'd be wasting^H^H^H^H^H^H commiting if I
decided to work on this :).

Since it appears that all the logical easy things have been done, I'll
probably just agree with you and say "not worth the effort" - but I dont
know if I have enough info to decide that yet....

I"m sorry if I've come across as confrontational - I am really just trying
to find out more details.

My 'contstructive' criticism of the color of the bikeshed should be
ignored :).

> > >  > Are there other options?
> > > Netbooting.
> >
> > So how does netbooting work on alphas?  Is there somewhere I can go read
> > about it?
>
> boot <network_device>
> boot ewa0

While I can watch what happens via tcpdump and reverse engineer this,
can you direct me to anywhere where I might find out the mechanics?

(I've done similar things in the past to get freebsd boxes to work as
pseudo-jumpstart servers for solaris boxes - not actually jumpstart, but
our own custom install script)

dhcp? rarp? bootp?

tftp? nfs?

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.