Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:24:10 -0700
From:      Robert <traveling08@cox.net>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Gnumeric w/network printer

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:44:31 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Robert wrote:
>
> > I have been having a problem for awhile and I need some help with
> > it. I have a Samsung network printer SCX-4725FN. It is a postscript
> > printer.
> >
> > I am running FreeBSD 8 stable.
> >
> > FreeBSD asus64.shasta204.local 8.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE
> > #34: Fri Jun 25 21:17:41 PDT 2010
> > root@asus64.shasta204.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> >
> > I have a simple printcap file:
> >
> > lp|samsung|Samsung SCX-4725N:\
> >          :lp=:rp=samsung:rm=192.168.2.2:\
> >          :sh:mx#0:\
> >          :sd=/var/spool/samsung:\
> >          :lf=/var/log/printer.log:
>
> rp should be the name of the queue on the printer.  Some printers
> have a queue named "raw" that doesn't do any translation on incoming
> print jobs while other queues translate things like lf to cr.  Some
> printers just ignore the queue name.
>
> rm should be the printer's DNS hostname, but since it prints it's
> probably resolvable.

Warren,

Thank you for responding so quickly. Your answers got me thinking and I
added an entry into /etc/hosts for samsung and now it will print
Gnumeric.

It is always simple when you figure it out. :-)

Thanks again. You are one of the reasons that FreeBSD is the best OS.

Robert