Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:59:51 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Vincent Bolinard <vinzstyle@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail ignores SmartHost directive

On Mar 20, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Vincent Bolinard wrote:
> I use :
>
> # cd /etc/mail
> # make
>
> to generate a `hostname`.mc file. I edit it, and add :
> define(`SMART_HOST', `[192.168.1.6]')
>
> (I tried without brackets, and with names)
>
> then :
>
> # make install
> # make restart-mta
>
> I use
>
> # date | sendmail -v postmaster
>
> but I can see in the output that Sendmail sends the mail to the local
> server. It seems that my SmartHost is ignored.

Your smarthost entry isn't being ignored, but anything which can be
delivered locally will take priority over that setting.

You'll either need to remove localhost and so forth from class w
(which sometimes involves hostnames in /etc/mail/local-host-names),
or require sendmail to canonify unqualified usernames with a non-
local hostname like "user@mail.domain.com".  Look into the
MASQUERADE_AS() feature, and possibly always_add_domain,
allmasquerade, and/or masquerade_entire_domain.

> I can ping the smarthost (whith IP and name), and telnet
> mail.domain.com 25 works fine.
>
> It's suggested in the Handbook to use ssmtp in this case (send-only),
> but I red that it was unable to send HTML mails. Is that true ? If
> not, I'll use it.

Barring anti-spam measures, MTAs don't care about whether the
contents of an email are HTML.

--
-Chuck