Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 15:27:39 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, randy@zyzzyva.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-install@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE install

>> Error: C:6292878 > 1023 (BIOS Limit)

>After much hair tearing I figured out that I needed to have the 1.2MB
>floppy drive configured into the BIOS in order to successfully boot
>from the install floppy. Even when there is not a 1.2MB floppy available
>as I discovered later due to problem mentioned below.

>BIOS is an Award rev4.51PG
>Onboard Floppy
>Onboard PCI IDE controllers for primary and secondary.
>Secondary controller is disabled.

Perhaps you are using the Award BIOS option to swap A: and B:.

>I attempted to install a new set of boot blocks to FORCE_COMCONSOLE
>with 'disklabel -B wd0' after recompiling the boot code from
>FreeBSD-stable. The result nuked my partition table and MBR on
>the drive forcing me to reinstall. When I installed the first time,
>I chose the option to use "ALL" and to not be compatible with
>future OS installs. The net effect seemed to be that the FreeBSD
>partition begins with the first cylinder instead of an offset of
>1 cyl. What did I do wrong here? Guidance appreciated.

You used the "all" option, so you didn't "remain cooperative with any
future possible operating systems on the drive(s)", including FreeBSD :-).
FreeBSD-current has more details about the dangers of using "all":
"This precludes the existance [sic] of any boot manager or other stuff
in sector 0, since the BSD boot strap will live there".  "other stuff"
included the partition table in FreeBSD-2.1.

Bruce