Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:00:31 -0400
From:      Ken Easson <apple@justken.net>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 5.4 gnome 2.12 build problems.

Thank you Gary for taking the time to help me.

I got stuck at "try doing ldd on the libraries that are being linked"
I've never used ldd, i read the man pages, and tried a number of
things, but i don't know what i'm doing. Would you be kind enough to
give me a few pointers?

I've looked up fPIC and now that i understand what that does, the
problem seems more clear - however, i'm still not seeing a solution.

I'm thinking to update the entire system to 6.0 stable, I'm wondering
if this update could fix my problems during the rebuild, or just
compound them. any advice?

ken.

On 14-Feb-06, at 1:29 PM, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> Ken Easson writes:
>> I have the file libgsf-1.so i tried deinstalling and reinstalling the
>> port just in case it was messed up.
>>
>> i'm still getting the same error as before when running make on
>> librsvg2
>>
>> is it libgsf that i should try building with the -fPIC option? and if
>> so - how do i do that?
>>

> No, libgsf has already installed a shared library, so it must have been
> compiled with -fPIC.
>
> I suspect that one of the other libraries which are being linked in
> references libgsf.a, but there's no where for me to tell which from
> the output of the compile.
>
> You could try doing ldd on the libraraies which are being linked and
> see
> if one of them references libgsf.a. This is the port which would need
> be recompiled with -fPIC.
>
> ---
> Gary Jennejohn / garyjATjennejohnDOTorg gjATfreebsdDOTorg
> garyjATdenxDOTde

ken easson