Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 14:28:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Jake Curry <jakecurry@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: debugging crunched programs

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Jake Curry wrote:

> - How do you normally debug PicoBSD programs?  I'm sure this kind of
> thing has happened to people before.  Aside from littering the code
> with printf's, are there any viable options?  I have a altqd.core file
> which I can take to another system, but what do I do with it?  does it
> match up with $DIST/crunch1/crunch1?
>
> - Can I get debugging symbols in any of this?  I'm guessing that would
> make it way too big for a floppy, but I'm don't think a core and
> debugger would be much help without them.

Yes, that's true. What I'm doing is to prepare the debuggng kenel and
crunch with debugging symbols (which of course are waaaay to big for any
floppy except for LS120), and then just start the machine with this kernel
and MFS image loaded from hard disk (see the standard boot floppy for the
right incantations). Then I mount my hard disk filesystem and if I get a
coredump, I simply copy it to that FS for analysis. You can even start gdb
if you set your paths correctly.

> - If I suspected that the crunch process was incompatible with some
> program, how would I go about getting a non-crunched version on there?
>  When I grabbed the binary straight off my desktop and ran it on Pico,
> it complained about ld_elf.so not existing.  Is there a way I can link
> the program to get it to run on PicoBSD?  (yes, I'm sure I could figure
> this one out for myself if I weren't so tired :'()

Erm, well... Have you heard of static binaries? :-)

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----