Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 14:38:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        mjanosi@numacorp.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network printing

Miki Janosi is responsible for:
>     Hello all,
> Let me give a little background before I ask the question. We have
> numerous networks, Sun, Netware, and Mac printing to some HP laser
> printers. I asked my sys admin how to print to any of them from my
> PC, I have both DOS and BSD on it. He told me to erase BSD and install
> Linux and he'd think about helping me. I can ping the printer and I
> know there must be a way to print to it, but will I be able to do it
> without my sys admin's help? I have limited permissions in netware,
> but I might have enough on the Sun box. If anyone has any
> suggestions, please also e-mail my address, mjanosi@numacorp.com,
> because I have only e-mail access to the internet and I had to quit
> the mailing list because of the volume of e-mail. TIA!
> Miki Janosi                   NUMA Corporation, Akron, OH
> Tel: (330) 925-5000 x.455     email: mjanosi@numacorp.com

If the printer does support lpd, it should make very little
difference what UNIX system you are using.  I'd run over to a sun
and check out /etc/printcap and see what the settings are.  You
may also want to try something like
   lp:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=hostname.of.printer:\
        :rp=raw:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:
which I dug up on the questions archive.