Date:      Sun, 15 May 2005 03:09:19 +0800
From:      Ariff Abdullah <skywizard@MyBSD.org.my>
To:        Arne =?ISO-8859-1?Q? "W=F6rner" ?= <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: volume problems with snd_via8233

On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:02:30 -0700 (PDT)
Arne "W=F6rner" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net> wrote:
> > On Saturday 14 May 2005 11:14, vaida bogdan wrote:
> > > Hi, I've bought a new computer with an ASRock K7Upgrade-880
> > > motherboard with 5.1 channels AC'97 Audio (quoting from
> > install guide
> > > and I have a problem with sound on Freebsd 5.4 with
> > snd_via8233.
> > >
> > > After I load the module, the sound volume is set to max and
> > even
> > > though I can lower the sound bar (xmms) or lower the volume in
> > mplayer
> > > the volume doesn't change. I can only change it from my audio
> > boxes.
> > >
> > > I think it could be a module problem because it works ok in
> > windows.
> > >
> > > # cat /dev/sndstat
> > > FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> > > Installed devices:
> > > pcm0: <VIA VT8237> at io 0xd000 irq 22 kld snd_via8233
> > (5p/1r/0v
> > > channels duplex default)
> >=20
> > Same here with this...

Perhaps you guys can try these patches:

http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/sound/ac97.c.diff
http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/sound/vchan.c.diff

> But not here with this:
> > cat /dev/sndstat=20
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <VIA VT8235> at io 0xe000 irq 7  (5p/1r/0v channels duplex
> default)
>=20
> Works fine... Just strange interuptions in playback, when there is
> heavy concurrency about CPU or IO resources.
>=20
> -Arne

VIA is known for it's notorious DXS playback to achive multiple
playback sources. The driver itself not MPSAFE, which is another
reason. You can try to disable it and use pcm virtual channel instead.
Can you try these patch:

http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/sound/via8233.c.diff
http://staff.mybsd.org.my/skywizard/FreeBSD/sound/vchan.c.diff

Be sure to add hint.pcm.0.via_dxs_disabled=3D1 into your
/boot/device.hints (this will disable DXS playback). Enabling
PREEMPTION + ULE in your kernel also helps alot.

--

Ariff Abdullah
MyBSD

http://www.MyBSD.org.my (IPv6/IPv4)