Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:22:12 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freeing vnodes.

Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net> wrote:

> I haven't seen my machine even get to 10,000 free vnodes with this patch
> running.  Even while doing a 'find . -exec stat {} \; >> /dev/null'.  With
> the new mechanism all of these vnodes would go away after a second.  It
> might be nice to keep them around for longer if resources permit, but I do
> think a timeout based approach is the correct one.  Please note that with
> the old code you wouldn't even keep them around for a second if we were
> above minvnodes.  They would be recycled on the next call to
> getnewvnode().

Does this mean the behavior of
    find /usr/src -name .\#\* -o -name \*.orig -print
followed by
    find /usr/src -name .\#\* -o -name \*.orig -print -delete
after looking at the output on an idle system does change (assuming the
system is below minvnodes)?

Actually the first command needs a little bit of time with a slow disk, the
second one is very fast compared to the first one.

Bye,
Alexander.

There's no room in the drug world for amateurs.
		-- Raoul Duke