Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 21:16:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Subject:   Re: Status of DOS emulator?

> Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> NetBSD have both the BSDI emulator (doscmd) and a port of DOSEMU.
> Rundos is even more moribund (but possibly originally technically superior
> to either of the above; certainly more ambitious).

I am facing a very difficult decision here and maybe some of you can help me
regain my sanity :-)

I have asked some questions of both NetBSD and OpenBSD.  In response, I did
get some very helpful answers.  I also got a lot of hostility, like "That's
a stupid question. What did you expect?"  OpenBSD people seem to hate NetBSD
people, the ones that they owe their existance to.  I even saw a message,
don't ask me why it was CC'd to me, where an OpenBSD person said he knew of
20 serious bugs in NetBSD but refused to tell the NetBSD people about it
because he thought they were "pricks".  Plus, the OpenBSD developer
(probably the leader of the project) basically called me stupid for asking
what was in the snapshots.  I don't want to be perpetually running
prerelease code like I would be in OpenBSD, and I don't care for all the
fighting.  Both systems have a big lack of documentation and have poor
serial code (which is important to me), so I will be not switching to either
of them.

Just a word here to you guys at FreeBSD: thanks for the great website, it
has lots of useful info.  NetBSD/OpenBSD had very little.

My decision is now this: FreeBSD or Linux.  I know right off the bat that I
will lose some of FreeBSD's legendary stability.  What I need to know is how
much.  Also, how much more secure is FreeBSD than Linux?  I am running a BBS
sort of thing, where anybody in the public gets free dialin FreeBSD shell
account.  I don't want to open up my system like that under an OS that isn't
secure.

DOS emulation is becoming more important to me.  Unix still doesn't have a
decent word processor that I've seen.  WordPerfect 5.0, a very outdated DOS
word processor, is much better than even the best Unix word processor I've
seen so far.  (Yes, I have tried Andrew).

I hate booting to DOS.  It feels like I'm going back 20 years in computer
history.  Probably that's true :-)  I lose multitasking, stability, etc.
It's enough to turn my stomach <g>

So I need advice.  And I thank everyone here for being polite in spite of my
long messages!

--
John Goerzen          | Turn your PC into a Workstation for FREE!
Custom programming    | Check out www.freebsd.org NOW!  For free FreeBSD