Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:25:20 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-xfree86@lists.csociety.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP:  XFree86 4.2.0 going back in the tree

At 5:41 PM -0500 3/18/02, Will Andrews wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 18, 2002, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > The exact details of the above may be wrong, as I haven't
>>  gotten to the end of installing the new meta-port yet, but
>>  I think the basic outline of the problem is accurate.  The
>>  current idea of deinstalling and re-installing a port does
>>  not work if the new port is really several new ports, and
>>  the old port is a megaport that had included all of those
>>  pieces in a single port.
>
>No.  I just talked to knu-san, and he told me that portupgrade
>does not delete shared libs by default.  So in order to upgrade
>your currently installed megaport, you need:
>
>	portupgrade -uR XFree86

the above may help avoid some of the problems, I did not
try it.

Prologue:
     I'm starting with the 4.2 mega-port installed.  People
     who do not have that installed should just ignore this
     message...    :-)

What I did:
     /usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall XFree86
         -> produced some warnings about not being able to
            completely delete some directories.  I checked
            those directories, and I determined that it was
            perfectly safe to ignore the warnings.
     /usr/local/sbin/portupgrade -n XFree86
         -> I said 'no' to XFree86,
                  'yes' to XFree86-4
     /usr/local/sbin/pkgdb -F
         -> see below
     shutdown -r now

The portupgrade went without errors, and after the reboot I
seem to have a working version of X.  While the above steps
may seem like overkill, I would suggest that there certainly
isn't anything *wrong* with doing it the above way.  I could
once again explain why I believe the above is the best tactic
for anyone who had the megaport installed, but my previous
attempts to explain this have not been too successful, and I
do not wish to harp on it.  Let me just say that I feel there
is no major problem with the meta-port, but it just happens
to interact badly with the previous megaport.  Everyone has
their own non-standard ways to get around those interactions,
in the sense that you can't do the standard
        "just type portupgrade"
in this particular oddball case.  Once we get past the
interactions between the megaport and the meta-port, using
whatever non-standard method which works for you, I think
this will be fine.

The only left-over oddity is that the run of 'pkgdb -F' seems
confused about the status of imake.  I had a version of imake
installed before doing this, which came from the XFree86-4
megaport.  By that, I mean the command:
      pkg_info -W /usr/X11R6/bin/imake
knew that the file came from XFree86-4-mega.  I still have
the program at that location, but now pkg_info does not know
where it came from.  All the new ports claim to depend on
imake-4.2.0, but /var/db/pkg does not seem to think that
port is installed.

The upshot of all that is that 'pkgdb -F' complains about
a lot of stale dependencies for 'imake'.  I installed the
imake-4.2.0, just to make pkgdb happy, but I am not sure
what the interaction is between the meta-port and the imake
port.

 From my little dabbling with this, I can see why it's such a
large task to get the port sorted out.  It took just a few
minutes to type in the commands for this single test, but it
took hours before those commands completed so I could find
out whether the above would work.  I would like to thank
everyone who must have spent an enormous amount of time in
sorting out this port.