Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 11:47:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   sigs 10,11 (and other hiccups)

Once in awhile lately, I've been seeing spates of bus errors and segment
violations. Typically, many processes get hit at around the same time and
any new process started will immediatetly segv. After some time passing
and unaffected processes have continued to run, the situation clears up
by itself and things appear normal again. This has been for several months,
but seems to have become more frequent recently, under similar typical loads.

Other strange effects these days are when programs fail with errors such as:

/some/path/Ì: no such file or directory
/dev/: no such file or directory
/dev/~adam: no such file or directory

This has also been this way for several months, tracking current, but seems
to have reduced to very infrequent during past weeks.

The machine has 16 MB physical RAM and has /usr mounted from NFS. These
problems are unrelated to binaries being moved on the NFS server. Also
probably unrelated, I have noticed that gdb often reloads binaries and
symbols when restarting programs (either on the server or client side of NFS),
although the files have not changed.

Yet another irregularity (I have only seen this on the NFS client machine so
far)...  cvs update -dP sometimes fails with stuff like:

cvs update: in directory gnu/usr.bin/groff/mm/mm:
cvs [update aborted]: *PANIC* administration files missing

I have only seen this happen to directories which have been completely
removed to the Attic, cvs update has previously skipped the directory several
times without complaining and then this. Removing the directory allows the
next cvs update to complete normally, but shouldn't -P have already removed it
on a previous run?

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>