Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2015 07:30:24 +0100
From:      Dirk E <cipher_nl@hotmail.com>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ZFS doing background writes?

> On Mon=2C 16 Mar 2015=2C Steven Hartland wrote:=0A=
>=0A=
>> yes exactly that its defined by vfs.zfs.txg.timeout.=0A=
>=0A=
> Well=2C but what data (modulo atimes=2C which I presume OP had turned off=
 before)=0A=
> are written?=0A=
=0A=
I indeed have atime=3Doff for the whole pool. But even with atime enabled=
=2C this behaviour should not happen=2C since no files are being accessed. =
Surely not in single user mode=3B the only processes outside of the kernel =
were '/bin/sh' and 'top'. Or zpool iostat when i ran it.=0A=
=0A=
I left the machine on and after a bunch of hours it is still doing periodic=
al writes. The total ARC usage remains small: 5300K and changes slightly ov=
er time - again with no host writes.=0A=
=0A=
Even unmounting all ZFS filesystems will NOT cause this behaviour to go awa=
y. It seems to originate from the ZFS kernel itself=2C doing some autonomou=
s maintenance on the background=2C or other feature.'=0A=
=0A=
Using top to sort processes with the longest CPU TIME=2C i can see:=0A=
=0A=
idle: 27.9H=0A=
kernel: 6:48=0A=
intr: 4:34=0A=
zfskern: 0:33=0A=
geom: 0:29=0A=
syncer: 0:16=0A=
rand_harv 0:11=0A=
cam: 0:09=0A=
pf purge: 0:08=0A=
powerd: 0:03=0A=
=0A=
This machine has done very little than boot and import the pool. As can be =
seen=2C the kernel and ZFS are pretty active in terms of CPU power.=0A=
=0A=
Anyone have a clue?=0A=
 		 	   		  =