Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 23:30:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        tech@scsr.com (Tech1)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Detailed info on Fail-safe cluster for Freebsd/unixes

In reply:
> 	2) If the primary server is detected down, the auxiliary will take over
> all off TCP/IP
> 	    communications/services for the primary while doing its own regular
> activity assigned.
> 	    Example:When prime server down, when ftp to the downed server will end
> you up in the aux 	    	      server.

okie dokie.

i assume that the same MAC's and IP's will be used on the failover machine?

> 	4) Highly portable to all other mordern unixes like sun,hp,dec,ibm,
> unixware, sco etc.

well...  i won't give up Sun-HA, MC/ServiceGuard, etc.. yet.

> 	5) the down time is reduced virtually to 0, instead of hours/days.

be very careful what you say here.  since you are charging a price, i
assume you will be held liable for extended downtime.

> [snip]

how are locks handled?  what about proc sync?  what about rollback?

is there anything more that could actually be useful?

how does your product compare to other commercial HA products?  in
both features and operation?

what lvm do you use?

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or